The highlight of Castelnuovo is represented by the suggestive Villa della Torre Hohenlohe, which dominates the Karst hillsides that slope down toward the Isonzo in proximity of Sagrado. The exact year of construction is unknown, but surely it is to be related to the dynasty of the counts della Torre Hofer Valsassina, a noble family from Lombardy, who achieved remarkable wealth and power over the territory surrounding Gorizia, starting from the XIII century.

The first records that connect the della Torre family to Castelnuovo, date back to 1566, year in which Franz III, the Hapsburgs's ambassador to the Venetian Serenissima Republic and the Holy See, acquired the lands of Sagrado from its vassals, the noble family of Strassoldo. It was under Raymond della Torre that the stately villa Castelnuovo, as it is still called today, was built. The lands of Sagrado, which belonged to the della Torre family up to 1849, passed to the Hohenlohe Waldenburg family through prince Egon's marriage to the heiress Theresa della Torre.

In 1770 Raymond IX decided the architecture and style of the villa and gardens, which still today maintain the same layout. The hill surrounding the villa was turned into a park and the gardens in front of the villa were terraced and landscaped with geometrical box-hedges and flowerbeds. The villa was modified according to the classical style: the long rectangular shape corresponds to a symmetrical facade with respect to the median axis. There were several little buildings scattered in the garden, some of which still existing today, like the tempietto that Raymond IX della Torre dedicated to his late wife, Valburga.

In 1904 the Castlenuovo property was acquired by Triestine poet, Spartaco Muratti. In that same period the barchessa, dialect name for a long barn fronted by an arched portico, housed a horse-breeding stable for the Austrian State.

During the Great War of 1915-1918, the villa, protected from Hill 143, became a station where the troops were assembled, sorted, withdrawn and given shelter to. It also served as a field medical post and still today the walls of the hall on the ground floor display several graffiti left behind by the soldiers. The villa and the annexed buildings were bombed and the whole property suffered such heavy damages as to persuade Mr. Muratti to get rid of the property. It was sold in 1920. In the twenties, the new owners, who then lived on the estate, undertook the rebuilding of the villa trying to restore the former appearance to the property as a whole, while slightly modifying the park.

Since then, Castelnuovo has had various owners:
1920-1922 FAM. AGLIALORO-FARINELLA
1922-1937 BANCA D'ITALIA
1937-1940 SEBASTIANO MONTUORI
1940-1970 FAM. PELLICCETTI-BALDI-MARTINOLLI-TARABOCCHIA
1970-1975 FAM. ORLANDO
1975-1978 DE ASARTA
1978-1987 SARTI & C
SINCE 1987 FAM. TERRANEO LEOPOLDO

Hundreds of years have passed since Castelnuovo was first established and the estate is surrounded, as it was in the past, by vineyards, woods of age-old cypresses and oak trees that stand as witnesses of the gone days full of both glory and tragedy. The ground floor of the villa houses two permanent exhibitions, while on the first floor visitors will be able to admire frescoes of the Tiepolo School that date back to the 1700s only recently discovered and now being restored.

La Villa - La Storia

La Villa - La Storia

La Villa - La Storia

La Villa - La Storia

La Villa - La Storia